By John Carriero, Janet Broughton, Annie Wauters
A set of greater than 30 particularly commissioned essays, this quantity surveys the paintings of the 17th-century philosopher-scientist in most cases considered as the founding father of smooth philosophy, whereas integrating distinctive essays detailing the context and effect of his paintings.
- Covers the entire variety of old and philosophical views at the paintings of Descartes
- Discusses his seminal contributions to our knowing of skepticism, mind-body dualism, self-knowledge, innate principles, substance, causality, God, and the character of animals
- Explores the philosophical importance of his contributions to arithmetic and science
- Concludes with a piece at the effect of Descartes's paintings on next philosophers
Read or Download A Companion to Descartes PDF
Similar modern books
Integrating either theoretical and utilized features of electrochemistry, this acclaimed monograph sequence offers a evaluate of the most recent advances within the box. the present quantity contains chapters at the mechanism of nerve excitation from an electrochemical point of view, the digital consider the kinetics of charge-transfer response, and 5 different matters.
This ebook explores rules of violent femininity throughout commonly used and disciplinary obstacles in the course of the 19th century. It goals to spotlight how clinical, felony and literary narratives shared notions of the risky nature of ladies. Mangham lines intersections among infamous felony trials, theories of lady madness, and sensation novels.
- Einstein's Photoemission: Emission from Heavily-Doped Quantized Structures (Springer Tracts in Modern Physics)
- Insight: A Study of Human Understanding, Volume 3 (Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan)
- Wittgenstein (Arguments of the Philosophers), 2nd Edition
- Modern Trends in Cartography: Selected Papers of CARTOCON 2014 (Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography)
Extra resources for A Companion to Descartes
Originally published 1615) Garber, D. (1992). Descartes’ Metaphysical Physics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Hellyer, M. (2005). Catholic Physics: Jesuit Natural Philosophy in Early Modern Germany. North Bend, IN: University of Notre Dame Press. John of St. Thomas (1930–7). Cursus philosophicus Thomisticus, ed. P. Beato Reiser. Turin: Marietti. (Originally published 1637–8) Marenbon, J. (1987). Later Medieval Philosophy (1150–1350). London: Routledge. Menn, S. (1995). ” In R. Ariew and M.
The Physica (1669–71) of Honoré Fabri, a Jesuit who corresponded with Mersenne and Leibniz, departs even more from tradition, engaging in controversy with Descartes and other new philosophers. That commentary should have been central to the teaching of natural philosophy for so long reflected the economy of knowledge in the medieval period. In matters of faith, God was the highest authority, whose judgments are given to us in the Bible, and the Fathers of the Church, especially Augustine, were the highest human authorities.
1939–53). Journal tenu par Issac Beeckman de 1604 à 1634, ed. Cornelius de Waard, 4 vols. The Hague: Nijhoff. Descartes, R. (1998). The World and Other Writings, trans. Stephen Gaukroger. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Garber, D. (1992). Descartes’ Metaphysical Physics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Gaukroger, S. (1995). Descartes, An Intellectual Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Gaukroger, S. (2002). Descartes’ System of Natural Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.